What is direct business mailing?
Direct mail is a marketing/advertising technique in which a business sends a message or offer directly to a potential customer using mail or some other delivery service. Other materials that may be sent through direct mail include catalogs, advertising circulars and other unsolicited material. The business mailing will be sent to potential clients who have been chosen based on different criteria such as location, income, age, profession and buying pattern amongst others. This has been proven as a useful method when trying to increase sales and move product. Besides, you may read tips for usage of the proper business language on our site.
Benefits of business direct mailing
Business mailing provides several benefits to those who use it. Some of the benefits and advantages that can be gained by using direct mailing include the following:
- It’s targeted. Mass marketing covers a wide area and the percentage of responses tends to be low. Direct mail focuses on a much smaller group that has been selected based on different specific criteria. Focusing in this way results in a much higher rate of responses.
- It’s personal. The direct mail approach enables you to address customers by name as individuals. Using the criteria that narrowed the focus enables you to appeal to a customer’s interests.
- Direct mail is tangible. A physical item is delivered that the recipient can hold in their hands. You can encourage interaction by using elements that actively involve the customer such as samples and coupons.
- Direct mail results are easily measured. A simple counting of the number of mailings sent out versus the number of coupons redeemed can give you the response percentages. The ease with which results can be measures are one of the main reasons for the popularity of business mailing. Necessary adjustments and changes can be made based on the analyzing of results.
Business mailing marketing tips
During business mailing your goal is obtaining the best possible results. The following are a few tips to help in improving results:
- Understand your target customer. Research their shopping and purchasing behavior, their attitudes towards trends, products and marketing and learn their lifestyle habits. This knowledge will help refine your message.
- Target your ideal customer. Using the knowledge you have gathered build targeted direct mailing lists. These are mailing lists that have been developed using information that was gathered, and contain those customers most expected to buy. These lists pinpoint the best leads, resulting in less waste and a higher rate of responses.
- Pick a mailing list type. There are several different mailing list types that vary in price and quality. List types include specialty list, custom list and cloned list
- Create your mailing. This is your business mailing message
Correct targeting of customers will result in a higher percentage of responses. In addition, you may find more information about how to write a business letter by visiting our site.
Image credit: http://www.cmiglobal.com/instructor-led-workshops/professional-business-writing-skills-workshop/