Why do you need to invest your efforts into writing an effective personal statement?
If you are trying to figure out how to write an effective personal statement you are not alone. Most people now realize that their personal statement is a vital part of their application. For many it is the most important part by far. Without an effective personal statement you are likely to be overlooked by the reviewing body and not get awarded the place that you are looking for. So it is vital that you learn how to write an effective personal statement. In addition, you may read more about how to apply for a job online on our site.
Writing an effective personal statement
An effective personal statement is one that can get the reader’s attention and keep it right through until the end. Writing in that manner however is very difficult to learn. Being able to learn how to write an effective personal statement however is very important if you really want to get that place. The following tips and additional information about how to improve personal statement will help;
- Read many examples to see how others structure theirs
- Select a theme to provide structure to your statement
- Ensure that your opening lines are attention grabbing, but not shocking
- Keep to your theme and remain relevant
- Don’t use humor, it is rarely appreciated or understood
- Use real examples to illustrate your points
- Never use lies
- Always write your own unique content, never copy
- Do not try to be clever with language, use normal everyday words
When you have finished writing read it back out loud, it is very easy to record yourself with a cell phone and play it back. Listen and ensure that it flows well and does not jump from idea to idea. Ask others to proofread for you also to remove all possible errors.
What should you include in your personal statement
Not only do you need to write perfectly when learning how to write an effective personal statement you also need to ensure that you cover the right areas to satisfy the reader. You will more often than not be writing your statement in response to a question, this needs to be answered fully especially if it covers more than one area. This question is helped to get you to write about what the committee will be looking for which is typically;
- To prove that you have a real interest in the subject by explaining how it has developed and evolved
- To show that your studies are vital to your proposed career path
- To prove that you have all of the required skills for your studies
- To see if you have valid reasons for studying there rather than elsewhere
Image credit: http://www.topuniversities.com/where-to-study/oceania/australia/guide-student-health-insurance-australia