Research on writing projects considerations
You have a research paper or some other assignment to write on that is going to require that you choose the topic. Where do you begin researching to get the information that you need? The first thing to ask yourself is what kind of information you need. Information can fall into several different categories that will influence where you look for it. Some of the different types of information include the following:
- Research studies
- News reports
Other considerations will include how much information you need. Are a certain number of resources required? Do you need information supporting opposing points of view? The type of information will depend on the type of paper you intend to write. Some sources are better than others for obtaining certain sorts of information.
Sources for research on writing projects
When doing research and organizing tips today, most people turn to the internet first. There are two broad categories of research information. These are online sources and offline sources. An online source contains information only available online. Offline sources may be available online but the information online is taken from an offline source such as a research article from a magazine, or information from a book or newspaper. It is important to note where information originated. Although it may have all been gathered online it may have been published elsewhere in a traditional format. To research articles or papers information may come from the following traditional sources:
- Books/textbooks – a multitude of topics covered although information may be dated
- Newspapers – Very up-to-date and can gather both opinions as well as facts
- Academic and trade journals – Generally will contain the most recent information in a specific field
- Government reports and legal documents – A variety of data available
- Leaflets and pamphlets – General information on a variety of topics. Reliability dependent on the source.
Online sources might include the following:
- Blogs – Wide variety of topics. Information reliability dependent on the blog
- Message boards – Again wide field of topics with varied reliability
There is a vast pool of resources available. Before seriously collecting data consider what you need first.
Research on writing tips and guidelines
Doing research on writing about a topic is important to provide an informed paper. When you research articles and other materials make use of the following tips:
- Determine the type of data/information you need.
- Keep track of resources you use with necessary documentation
- Gather enough sources but don’t bury yourself in information.
- Double check if information you got online was previously printed in a traditional format
The internet is a great tool for research but don’t discount libraries, newspapers and government resources in your research.
And if the topic of your research paper is of no interest to you, or you would simply prefer to save your time and trust your work to professionals, in order to get a good grade, don’t hesitate to seek assistance of a professional research paper service.
Image credit: //www.hercampus.com/life/academics/4-things-you-can-do-prep-finals-now