Why are document and message structure important?
Writing messages in a business environment often requires conveying information quickly and clearly. Many people in business are reading dozens of messages and documents a day, and have little time to waste. The document structure or message structure that is used should present the necessary information in a way that is logical and clearly understood, as well as being easily scanned so that readers can quickly determine what the message or document is about. The main point should be stated clearly and up front. The most important information should generally be placed at the beginning of paragraphs or occasionally at the end of paragraphs. In addition, you may find more information about how to write a great business plan by visiting our site.
Message and document structure organization
Regardless of the type of document, it should give readers an idea of what it is about somewhere near the beginning of the document. For the content of the document to best achieve its purpose, the message structure organization should present the content in the most effective manner to serve its purpose. Content is the information that you are providing in your document. There should be enough information presented to make your points, but not so much that it gets in the way. Select the information to be included and organize it. This is essentially placing the information in the order in which you want to present it. There are many different organizational methods to structure document information. Two of the most common methods are included here:
- Outline method – Organizing following a basic outline. Typically open with the main purpose. Following sections will cover necessary points with necessary information. If needed some sections may include subheadings.
- Clustering – The clustering method has you place your main idea in the center of the paper and circle it. Place supporting points around the main idea and connect these points to either the main idea or another point based on its relationship.
Message structure points to remember
As you are writing your message it may prove helpful to keep the following points regarding structure in mind:
- Messages should always contain 1) Background information 2) Necessary facts and relevant information including instructions, and your own requests for information if required 3) Response. Action the reader will take, action you will take and time frame 4) Conclusion
- Paragraph structure – Paragraphs should be kept short. Use one paragraph per point, with the point being stated in the first sentence and supported in the following sentences.
- Use numbered points and bullets if it is suitable. Information presented in this way is more easily scanned.
Using the document or message structure to best display content will make your message understood more easily. Besides, brevity in writing is writing in a style that is brief, while at the same time covers all necessary points. It is one of the more difficult things to do well in writing, but often produces some of the best work.
Image credit: //textpower.ae/machines-vs-humans-in-the-arabic-translation-industry/